I use various Linux distributions while working on personal web design projects. Below is a list of my favorite software packages.
Desktop and Terminal
- sshfs – (creates a mounted file of an ssh connection)
- tar & gzip2 – (Manual backups via the terminal of my databasae and files.)
Audio and Video production
- kdenlive – video production for cuts and transtitions etc.
- audacity – audio editing, usually to clean up noise
This varies a little from distribution to distribution, I frequently favor what’s preinstalled with that system.
- gedit – (never fails me when I need a good text editor, Gedit isn’t pretty but it’s reliable)
- Scratch – Elementary OS
- Mousepad – XFCE Desktop’s
- nano – Terminal
Besides a pocket notebook to contain frequently used commands I use the either of the following
- Tomboy Notes
- Notes for XFCE