An expert is a person who has found out, by his own painful experience, all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field.Dr. Niels ….
You are not alone
We face common challenges. In five years of coaching conversations, I’ve found very few unique issues.
- Common struggle
- understanding the problem
The Common Struggle
- Strategy vs. Execution
- Execution is what we do
- Strategy is why we do it
- Both are critical
- We understand the need for strategy
- More efficient, more productive, more profitable
How’s your strategy?
- Why is it so hard to keep our strategy in focus?
- emergencies, life, other important stuff
Understanding the Whirlwind?
- The energy and attention needed to run your business.
- Whirlwind is the urgent!
The Problem with the Whirlwind
- Goals and strategy are important … see slides
- Delaying strategy… see slides
- it’s not bad; it just is what it is
- You need a plan to accomplish your goals in the middle of the whirlwind.
- Without a plan the Whirlwind always wins — always plan for your week at the beginning
- initial planning
- weekly planning
- … see slides
- two hours unplugged, schedule it as an appointment
- id the issues
- what changes do ineed to make?
- which bring the most immediate impact?
- top two action items
- pick the top 3 issues
- 30 minutes
- Before you start your week
- Friday evening?
- Sunday evening?
- Early Monday morning?
- Plan that time to execute at least one action
Nathan’s Weekly Planning
- Daily columns
- one whirlwind block
- one family block
- one project block
- family always gets one block. others can be mixed
- 2-4 hours
- schedule the time and don’t compromise it
- okay, maybe for a real emergency but if you plan well, there are few emergencies
- 4 hours
- every quarterish repeat the process
- prioritize. you will always have more goals than time.
- sometimes good idea have to be put on the shelf.
- separate your roles
- you are the CEO and the employee who executes the plan.
- taming the whirlwind takes time, give yourself a break.
Anything worth doing is worth doing badly at first.G.K. Chesteron — or somebody
In six months…
- how would life, business improve
- more work in less time means more free time
- if you don’t have a lot of client work spend more time with the other items. strategy, family etc.